Thursday, July 18, 2013

Planning for school.

We are in the throes of the rainiest summer I can remember, which has severely limited our outside time. So when we don't have days like this.....
then we do alot of this.....
and I do a lot
of this.....
Check out www.sandlappersewing.blogspot.com to see the spoils of this rainy summer!

So I have been busy getting busy to get ready to plan our next school year. :) I have 90% of our year planned, or at least curriculum picked out. The only one that is still up in the air is Willow for first grade. We used My Father's World last year for Kindergarten and although it was a good curriculum I felt like it was missing something for us. So I'm currently researching piecing together her 1st grade. The rest of the kids are set. Hannahlee is doing a literature curriculum from BJU that I think will be challenging, 
and she is also going to be attacking General Science along with Pre Algebra. It will prove to be a challenging year for her mainly due to the fact that a lot of her subjects will require her to do a lot of independent study work, but I know that she will secretly love it!
 Megan and Briar will be doing Astronomy together for science. Megan has progressed to Math 5 which is AWESOME since it proves to me that letting her redo the fundamentals with Briar this year in Math 3 was a good choice. Briar is gonna go on the Math 4. 
I am also choosing to do Shurley  English with Hannahlee, Megan,and Briar together, as well as our American History which I love, I will have to see if we want to switch gears the next year as we will be in Germany then and we may want to do some world history, so we can have some really phenomenal field trips! 
Now for the 3 older kids, I also have them do daily spelling with Christian Liberty Press, vocabulary with Vocabu-Lit ( which is wonderful because it pulls the weekly vocabulary words from excerpts of literature), and this year we are going to add a Word Study curriculum with MCP, and IWE (Institute for Excellence in Writing) for our writing course.  
I have two extracurricular activities I want to try and work into our routined schedule is German asa foreign   language, which should be fun since my goal is for it to be a family class not to mention in about 9 months very necessary :) the other one I would like to add is a Typing curriculum, and even though my kids are pretty good at typing  from practice, I think it would be a good skill to hone. 

I am excited about this school year and all the fun things we will learn. The next step is to try and write up lessons plans. I would love to ideally have all year rough drafted, but I will measure it successful to do the first 9 weeks. 
Stay tuned and I will share what I have decided for Willow for 1st grade.

No comments:

Post a Comment